CALL US NOW! (877) 929-8499
A-1 Home Care Agency Logo


Elder and Senior At Home Care Services


Posted by palosverdesinhomecare in at home carecare at homecaregivershomehome carein home careRancho Palos Verdes CARolling Hills CASan Pedro CATorrance CA and tagged with a-1 home carecaring for seniorselderlyhelp at homehome carehome care agencyhome care servicespalos verdespalos verdes in home caresenior careMarch 23, 2016

You are at that critical junction when you must decide whether you should move your elderly loved one to an assisted living facility, memory care facility, nursing, convalescent home or back home with you.  As you manage to review different elder care plans, you’re exposed to more medical terminologies than ever before, and you wonder which type of caregiver you should choose — private duty nurse, certified home health aide, certified nurse assistant, licensed vocational nurse, hospice care aide, home helper, or domestic care worker?  Although most of these terms can be applied to a home setting and some can be applied in a clinical setting, for the purpose of this article, A-1 Home Care  delineate the differences between these two terms: private duty nursing and certified home health.

Private Duty Nursing

Private duty nursing is synonymous to non-medical in-home care.  The goal is to ensure that the elderly patient completes all his tasks safely, such as meal preparation, light housekeeping, laundry, bathing and grooming.  If the elderly client is limited in his ability to perform certain tasks, the live-in private duty nurse will compensate for that by providing assistance.

Certified Home Health

A certified home health aide (CHHA) is a caregiver who has received formal training to give basic nursing care.  Live-in and live-out certified home health aides provide skilled care and possess knowledge of patient care procedures, philosophy of nursing, infection control, and rehabilitative patient care.  These skilled caregivers meet the certification requirements of the State of California after completing classroom and clinical training as well as passing a Nursing Assistant state examination.