We’re open, but Covid-19 safety protocol applies. View our Covid-19 protocols.

Veterans Benefits in Cerritos, Buena Park, Los Alamitos, Norwalk, La Mirada, Cypress, Lakewood

As a United States Veteran, you’ve earned certain pension benefits for serving your country. The Aid and Attendance Pension Benefits program is designed to help sustain you as you age and your health declines. Benefits under this program would also cover the veteran’s spouse if you are either still married or were married at the time of the Vet’s passing.

This program and the Housebound Care Allowance are to help veterans and their surviving spouse afford the at home care they need to maintain their health and independence.

Securing Veterans Benefits for Home Care

At A-1 Home Care, we understand how difficult it might be to pay for the services of an in-home caregiver from a homecare agency. We’d like you to know that there is an option that the Veterans Administration offers to provide monetary assistance to Elderly and Senior veterans.

This supplemental income that the VA offers is known as Veterans Benefits and there is an application process you must complete in order to see if you qualify for Veterans Pension and/or the Aid and Attendance benefit.

Applicants must have served at least 90 days of active duty with at least one day during a wartime period. They must also be at least 65 years old, totally and permanently disabled, receive Social Security Disability Insurance, or Supplemental Security Income.

Your yearly income must be less than the amount set by Congress in order to qualify for VA Benefits.

If you decide to apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit in addition to pension, you must submit evidence in a report that you require the aid of another person for essential tasks of daily living such as bathing, feeding, dressing, walking, etc

How much will I receive?

Military Benefits vary depending on your service, health needs and personal situation. The below chart shows estimated benefit amounts you may qualify for:

VA Aid and Attendance Pension Benefits
Veteran’s Status Estimated Monthly Amount Estimated Annual Amount
Single Veteran $2,050 $24,610
Married Veteran $2,431 $29,175
Surviving Spouse $1,318 $15,816
2 Married Veterans $3,261 $39,036

The problem is cutting through the red tape of the Application Process.

Do you qualify for Aid and Attendance Pension Benefits or Housebound Care Allowance?

The following are the main qualification requirements:

  • Must have served at least 90 days of active duty with at least one day during a period of war.
  • Must have anything other than a Dishonorable discharge.
  • A surviving spouse must have been married to the veteran at the time of his passing.
  • Must require the assistance of another person to perform some of the daily activities of living.
  • Must meet income and countable asset criteria established by the VA.
  • Must be 65 years and older or totally disabled / housebound.

A-1 Home Care has an online questionnaire at the bottom of this page to better determine if you qualify for the Aid and Attendance Pension Benefits Program or Housebound Care Allowance.

All information provided is kept confidential and secure. We do not share or sell your information.


  1. Screen for eligibility
  2. Provide application and checklist of all required documentation
  3. Provide Resources to Help with Application Process
  4. Provide updates throughout the process
  5. Maintain copies of Case / Care Notes, Plan of Care and Invoices
  6. Upon approval of application, we submit all documentation pertaining to services received to VA to expedite your retroactive reimbursement

We have been a VA Approved Home Care Provider since 1991 and are dedicated to helping the men and women who put their lives on the line to serve our country.

Call now for the Step-by-Step Assistance you need to receive the home care services you deserve.


To see if you quality for the Veterans Aid & Attendance Benefit, please fill out the form below.


Can someone charge to help fill out the forms?
The Veterans Administration requires the veteran or surviving spouse to fill out and submit the application but does allow help from an organization or veteran advocate.  Federal code and VA regulations prohibit any fee to be charged by an agent or attorney to fill out an application prior to denial of an appeal.
I have power of attorney; can I fill out and submit the application on the veteran’s behalf?
A claim cannot be filed with a general or durable power of attorney.  Only a VA power of attorney, with the proper documentation, is acceptable.  The veteran must sign a document specifically authorizing a power of attorney for someone to submit an initial claim for him / her.  If you have a state authorized durable power of attorney and submit a claim on behalf of a parent, the claim will be rejected by VA.
What documents are required?
  • Original copy of the discharge from service – typically DD 214 or form WD – is required. Veteran will not qualify if they have a dishonorable discharge.
  • For a surviving spouse, a marriage certificate or other proof may be necessary
  • Proof of recurring medical expenses
  • Birth certificates of dependent children are usually not required but may be necessary under certain conditions:
  • A dependent child is a minor
  • a dependent student under age 23
  • a totally dependent adult child
How long does the application approval take?
It can take between 3-6 months for your application to be processed.  Having all required documents and forms filled out correctly is essential to receiving approval quickly.
What is the effective date?
The day original application is submitted to the VA generally counts as the effective date.  No matter if it takes three months or six months for the approval process, the effective date is when the VA received the original application.
When does payment begin?
Upon approval, payments usually start on the first day of the month following the month of the effective date. Retroactive payments will be paid for the duration of the application process.  For example, if it took six months to get approval, at least five months of benefit will be paid retroactively.
Will the VA mail me a check?
No, VA requires automatic deposit of pension and benefits awards in a checking or savings account.
Will the Pension Benefit pay a non-licensed homecare provider?
If approved, VA increases your benefits to help with the cost of in home care.  You must pay the homecare provider from your increased pension benefits.
Will the Pension Benefit pay a member of the family to provide care at home?
VA does not pay any care provider directly but does count expenses paid to a family member for care as unreimbursed medical expenses to qualify for the benefit.