We’re open, but Covid-19 safety protocol applies. View our Covid-19 protocols.

Regional Centers

CA Department of Developmental Services (CDDS)

What is a Regional Center?

Regional Centers are non-profit organizations that contract with the California Department of Developmental Services (DDS) and other health and home care sources to provide supportive resources for children with developmental disabilities or delays or who have Special Needs.

If you have a child who is physically disabled or handicapped, developmentally delayed or who is on the Autism Disorder Spectrum and your family needs in home Respite Care, physical therapy, speech therapy or other supportive services due to a child with any of the conditions listed below, call your nearest Regional Center.  They match families with carefully screened and approved providers, like A-1 Home Care Agency.

Special Needs Conditions and Disorders:

  • Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
  • Behavioral Problems
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Cystic Fibrosis
  • Developmental Delays
  • Down’s Syndrome
  • Epilepsy / Seizure Disorders
  • Hearing or Visual Impairments
  • Intellectual Impairment
  • Mood Disorders
  • Neurological Disorders

What Services Do Regional Centers Provide?

Regional Centers provide free diagnosis and assessments to families with children who are developmentally delayed or disabled.  Based on the evaluation results, various supportive resources and referrals are provided, including:

Who is Eligible for Regional Center Services?

Eligibility for services from a Regional Center is based solely on the assessment and diagnosis performed by trained Regional Center staff.  Eligibility isn’t based on the family’s income or assts although some services may require a share-of-cost.

Infants & Toddlers, age up to 36 months who are developmentally delayed or deemed at risk of developmental delays may qualify for assistance.

Children over 36 months and adults must have a disability that began before the age of 18 years old.  The disability must be severe, and prognosis shows they will be affected for an indefinite period of time.

Respite Care for Children with Special Needs

Being the primary family caregiver for a child with Special Needs can be very stressful.  Sometimes you need a break or must attend to other responsibilities.

One of the services you may qualify for in your Regional Center Care Plan is In Home Respite Care Services and you can request caregivers from A-1 Home Care Agency.

You will be given referrals to home care agencies that are screened and approved by the Regional Center and DSS to arrange a Respite Caregiver for your child.  The home care agency carefully matches your family’s needs and child’s condition to the skills and experience of a professional caregiver, home health aide, personal care attendant or home health aide.

Respite Care services in your home allows you to rest and recover or to take care of other work or family matters.  You’ll have peace of mind knowing your child will be in safe hands.

Home Care for Developmentally Disabled

Caring for a child or adult with developmental disabilities can be overwhelming.  Having a professional and experienced home care agency to help your loved one with their personal hygiene, physical or speech therapy and social skills gives you the support and chance you need to be a parent instead of a family caregiver all the time.

Regional Center In Home Care Services

A-1 Home Care Agency is an approved vendor for the East Los Angeles Regional Center, Frank D. Lanterman Regional Center, North Los Angeles Regional Center and the Regional Center of Orange County.  We are certified for Homemaker Services and In-Home Respite Care Services through the Department of Developmental Services (DDS).

We carefully screen and match families with compassionate, reliable and experienced care givers, home health aides, personal care attendants and nurse aides for in home respite care services.

Our Respite Care providers are experienced with helping children and adults with physical disabilities, developmental delays, intellectual impairments and special needs.

You can request A-1 Home Care Agency as your In-Home Respite Care provider.

In Home Care Services can include:

  • Personal Hygiene and Bathing Assistance
  • Incontinence Care / Toiletry Assistance
  • Medication Reminders
  • Mobility Assistance
  • Range of Motion Exercises
  • Companionship and Social Interaction
  • Meal Preparation
  • Safety Supervision

East Los Angeles Regional Center (ELARC)

Serves families living in Alhambra, City Terrace, Commerce, East Los Angeles, El Sereno, La Mirada, Lincoln Heights, Montebello, Monterey Park, Pico Rivera, Rosemead, San Gabriel, San Marino, South Pasadena and Santa Fe Springs.  Some residents in parts of Arcadia, Boyle Heights, East Pasadena, Eagle Rock/Highland Park, La Habra Heights, Mount Washington, Temple City and Whittier are in ELARC’s service area.

To inquire about services, call

(Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm; after hours answering service)

(Monday through Friday 9:00-5:00)

Frank D. Lanterman Regional Center

Service area includes Glendale, Hollywood/Wilshire, Central Los Angeles and Pasadena areas.

To apply for services:

To apply for Regional Center services:

E-mail [email protected] or call the Intake referral line at 213-252-8610

Please include the following information in your email or call:

  • Your First and Last Name
  • Your Telephone Number
  • Your Full Home Address
  • Your Child’s Name and Birth Date
  • Short Explanation of Your Concerns

A Service Coordinator will return your call within 24 hours.

North Los Angeles County Regional Center (NLACRC)

This Regional Center serves residents of San Fernando Valley and Antelope Valley.  To apply for services, complete the application on their site.

Regional Center of Orange County (RCOC)

If you live in Orange County and would like to apply for services and resources to help a family member who is developmentally delayed, physically disabled, intellectually impaired or who has special needs, click here and complete the Intake Form that fits the age and situation of your child or relative.